MOGENS DAHL CHAMBER CHOIR
The Mogens Dahl Chamber Choir is a professional ensemble of hand-picked singers from across Scandinavia.
The Mogens Dahl Chamber Choir was founded in 2005 and has since become one of the most renowned classical vocal ensembles in the region of Northern Europe. While it is artistically rooted in the Nordic a cappella tradition, the ensemble’s goal to influence the future agenda of vocal music has sent it on a constant quest for new horizons.
The choir often performs newly composed music by established Nordic composers which is specially written for or commissioned by the Mogens Dahl Chamber Choir. In 2014, the Mogens Dahl Chamber Choir firstperformed Sven-David Sandström’s Nordic Mass at the Bergen International Festival. Moreover, this pioneering work has been one of the latest addition to the choir’s acclaimed CD releases.
A wonderful reinterpretation of The Passion of St. John (with music by Sven-David Sandström and text curated by Jakob Holtze) was brought to the audience in spring 2016. The work saw itspremiere at the Berlin Konzerthaus and was also performed at the opening of the ThüringerBachwochen, the Church of Holmen in Copenhagen, and The Lund Cathedral in Sweden.
Since 2008, the Mogens Dahl Chamber Choir has performed Händel’s oratorio ‘The Messiah’ on an annual basis, in 2015, 2016, and 2017 in collaboration with the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment.
“So new, so compelling”
– Søren Schauser / Berlingske, Dec. 11. 2017 (On Messiah)
”Both mild and mighty”
– Thomas Michelsen, Politiken, 10. december 2017 (On Messiah)
“Mogens Dahl’s unparalleled “Messiah””
“The choir itself is perhaps the loveliest on an evening such as this. The very few singers that be immediately come to the fore with characteristic and really beautiful voices.”
– Søren Schauser, Berlingske Dec. 5. 2016.
“Oh, Lord, how good!”
“Sven-David Sandström’s new Easter piece is beautiful music, and it is performed by a world class choir.”
“The performance is a major success for the artists involved… And, first and foremost, it is a success for the conductor Mogens Dahl with his 18-strong chamber choir, whose idea it all was.”
– Søren Schausser, Berlingske Tidende. About Sandström/Holtze’s Passion of St. John 2016
“… a sumptuous performance… Many moments that took one’s breath away.”
“Mogens Dahl’s Chamber Choir unfolded itself to superbly demonstrate a new Nordic passion at top international level.”
– Thomas Michelsen, Politiken. About Sandström/Holtze’s Passion of St. John 2016
“A work that has every chance to be the 21-century’s musical take on one of mankind’s most seminal stories.”
– Peter Dürrfeld, Kristelig Dagblad. About Sandström/Holtze’s Passion of St. John 2016
– Tobias Lund, Sydsvenskan. About Sandström/Holtzes Passion of St. John 2016
“It was with charitable sensitivity, but without going over the top, that the 16 singers in Mogens Dahl Chamber Choir touched our hearts.”
– Per Rask Madsen, Information. About Messiah with Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment 2015.
Scandinavian functionalism meets genuine British baroque. […] This was simple, beautiful and redeeming.
– Thomas Michelsen, Politiken. About Messiah with Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment 2015.
“Nothing less than a sensation”
– Camilla Lundberg, Sveriges Television. About Nordic Mass
“It’s choral singing at the highest level here.”
– Magasinet Klassisk. Review of Nordic Mass
“Such vocal dexterity is truly astonishing and well worth exploring and relishing.”
– Malcolm Riley, Gramophone. Review of Nordic Mass
“Sacred North is a splendid manifestation of what 20 professional singers can lift to the heavens of Nordic musical art.”
– Peter Johannes Erichsen in Weekendavisen
“With this collection of Nordic sacral choir music, Mogens Dahl Chamber Choir elevates all the way up into the singing’s premier league. Here is a Danish choir in a league of its own and with a unique tonal potential. “
– Christine Christiansen in Information