In a backyard in the old wharf, Islands Brygge, in old Copenhagen lies a well-hidden concert hall, Mogens Dahl Concert Hall, which actually consists of three halls, each with their distinct atmosphere.
FROM WORKSHOP TO CLASSICAL CONCERT VENUE
The buildings are from 1901 and have served as stables, garages and as a service shop right out of an Olsen Banden film. Aided by architects Maali and Lalanda, who also restored the Masteskure and the Mærsehus at the Holm, Mogens Dahl had the buildings restored in 2005. In January of 2006 the newspaper Politiken wrote: “Not since the opening of the DR Concert Hall has a venue for classical music been opened in Copenhagen that receives its visitors so well aesthetically and physically.”
CULTURE IN CALM SURROUNDINGS
In Mogens Dahl Concert Hall classical music meets culture and architecture in light yet intimate and private surroundings. Private companies, public companies and societies meet here when they want to be near the city, be on their own and be sure that everything works without a hitch.
In the menu points under “premises and surroundings”, the various activities for which MDK provides the proper atmosphere are described.
The architects behind the exquisite 2005 renovation of Mogens Dahl Concert Hall is the Danish-Spanish architect couple Frank Maali and Gemma Lalanda.
The couple received the Copenhagen Municipality Architectural Award 2009, and recently the Dreyer Foundation awarded them the honorary prize for architects for their empathic and imaginative transformations of historic buildings and city spaces. Mali and Lalanda’s latest work is the renovation of Rødding Folk Highschool.